I recently shared my experiences in Austin in my last post. I didn't expect to, but I really loved Austin. I hope y'all have a chance to visit, and that this list helps to make your visit more enjoyable!
Three things about Austin: it's pretty hipster, especially considering it's in Texas. It's really active. It has good food that's affordable.
1. Eat at Franklin's BBQ. Get there by 9am. It opens at 11am, but if you arrive later than 9am, you will miss the cut off line. Bring beer and buds to pass the time. Supposedly the waiting in line is an experience in itself.
2. Eat at Uchi. It's expensive, so even if you go and order two appetizers, it's definitely worth it for the experience. Get one of the hot rock, cook-it-yourself dishes.
3. During summer, go watch a million bats fly under Congress Avenue Bridge. They come out around golden hour / dusk / when the sun is setting.
4. Swim at Barton Springs, it's 70 degrees of awesome all year round.
5. Skip your diet and grub on affordable eats everywhere: namely Hopdoddy, taco trucks (Veracruz was my favorite--be sure to get their agua fresca too), Home Slice Pizza, Gourdough's, Kebabalicious, Jo's (for classic Austin coffee on South Congress), East Side Pies, Sze Chaun House, Nubian Queen Lola's Soul Food, and Swift's Attic.
6. Go out at night on 6th St. (Dirty Sixth) It's pretty amazing.
7. Take a dip in Hamilton Pool. Make sure to plan accordingly. If there are rainy or dangerous conditions, it will not open. Get there early because there will be a line otherwise, but you are not allowed to get there before opening time.
8. Go browsing through antiques at Uncommon Objects.
9. Go kayaking / swimming / canoeing / tubing on the Colorado River. Interact with it somehow. Watch turtles, fish, swimming doggies, and other wildlife as you float by.
10. Bike around the Colorado River on the Lady Bird Lake Trail. I used Barton Springs Bike Rentals and enjoyed the prices and service quality. Uses mountain bikes even though beach cruisers are cuter & cheaper because a large part of the trail is dirt road.